今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Cleaning my room

So I am doing a lot of last minute things to get ready to leave - this morning I cleaned my room. It was catastrophic before and now it's crowded, but everything is organized looking. I put all my blankets into shopping bags to contain them and put the futon in the upright position, which gave me space to put the bags of blankets behind. I put a shoe rack in my room and am trying to collect all my shoes onto it so people won't have to trip over them while I am gone. I found a couple books that had been missing and a pair of earrings too. Actually, I found a lot of books, but I wasn't really looking for most of them. I cleared off the heat vent and my room is pretty much ready now.

I downloaded the latest high tech version of AIM and I think I like it. It's got an interface that's very mac-ish, which is good and bad. I was using gaim before (which is nice because you canbe logged in on aim and yahoo and msn simultaneously, but there weren't very many features). This new aim has talk features that my gaim didn't, and I think it will be useful to be able to talk to people through both AIM and skype while I am in Japan. It's also got built in radio stuff, with a very ... wide? variety of stuff. There's an all-Green Day station and a Klezmer station and a British Invasion station (which is playing The Who right now). I want to get XRT streaming, though, and I thought it used the AOL radio thing, but I can't find it... and this AIM thing has a final fantasy station. I'm not sure I can use it anymore...

I like sitting with my computer in my lap when it's cold because it keeps me warm. Which has nothing to do with Japan.

My mom is buying me some presents, called "omiyage" (oh-mee-yah-geh) to give people in Japan, but I am unsure how many I need to take... I don't really know how many Japanese people I will be meeting, and it would be kind of silly to give someone from, say, Australia, a present just because we are meeting in Japan. I have some bowls for the people I stayed with last time and for whoever I stay with on the homestay they are making us do over the Japanese Thanksgiving weekend (which curiously, is November 23rd, the same as American Thanksgiving. Their holiday is Thanksgiving Labor Day, though, they squish the two together, and I highly doubt they eat turkey. Which is okay because we had turkey last Friday and other thanksgivingy foods too).

I am hungry.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger GM said…

    I am hungry too.

    My computer power cord is still not alive. :( Of courses, given all the tests/work to do before fall break, I may not be either soon. Oh vey.

    Feeling ready?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home