今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Monday, March 05, 2007

happy pulaski day

Which is, of course, even more of a non-event than in Chicago.

Friday: Went to Harajuku. Saw the Meiji Shrine, walked around and looked at shops and ate lunch at a French restaurant that served pasta. It was really good and was actually quite a lot of food for the price. Then we went to a big souvenier type store where my mom found a really good present for the remaining people. But I can't say what it is lest they find out. Then we went back to the dorm.

Saturday: We left quite early in the day and took the train to Asakusa and then took another train for about two and a half hours to Nikko, which is where the first shogun of Japan, Tokugawa Ieyasu, is buried. It's up in the mountains to the northwest of Tokyo. We got a little lost on the way to the hotel, but there were some other people wandering around too and eventually we figured out where we were. We went to the hotel and dropped off our stuff and found out that the temples were all closing at 4 (it was 3) so we went and ate at a place the people we talked to said was good. We both got yakitori (grilled chicken on a stick) with rice and yakisoba(stir fry noodles with vegetables). Then we wanted to take the bus to a hot spring (the pass we bought included the train to and from Asakusa, the 5 main buildings and the bus) but the restaurant lady had the bus schedule and it wasn't going to come for an hour. So we walked there on a little trail that followed the river. It was getting kind of dark but we got there fine. The water was really hot. They had an outdoor pool with big rocks, we sat out there most of the time. Then we took the bus back.

Sunday:

We got up and left by 7:30 and were to the temples for when they opened at 8. It wasn't crowded at all, which was nice, especially considering I was pulling the suitcase (since it wouldnt have fit in the lockers they had there). We managed to see everything in 4 hours (the book says it takes two hours to see everything). Then we ate lunch at the same place (for a major touristy place there was a surprising lack of tourist oriented businesses). The train back was rather warm. Eventually we got back to Inage and started packing the suitcase. There wasn't going to be enough space in the one suitcase for all the stuff my mom bought, much less the stuff I wanted to send home, so she took my second suitcase home. Aaron will have to bring it back in a couple weeks empty. It was midnight by the time I went to sleep.

Monday:

That's today. We got up early and I opened the door because it was so nice out. It was really windy. We finished packing and went to the 100 yen store and bought a few more things. I finally got a scrub brush for the bathroom, last time I used a retired kitchen sponge to clean it. We walked to Saty on the way back and had crepes for lunch. Then we went back and put the stuff we got into the suitcase and pretty much left for the train. Pulling two big suitcases wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but luckily I only live on the second floor. Carrying them down was harder. At the airport there was no trouble checking in and there was no line at security. Then I took the train back. It's gotten a lot colder and I have shut the door and the window.

I cut up an onion and the last mushrooms and I got somelittle green peppers and cooked them with a jar of spaghetti sauce from costco and then put some of it on french bread I got at Maruetsu and toasted it with cheese. Quite yummy.

Now its windy and rainy. I might go to costco on Wednesday and get some bagels. Also I might upload some pictures one day soon. I took so many that I need to go and look at them and see what is worth putting up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home