今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

class

So yesterday I had my first class. It was Introduction to Architectural Design and there is no actual work. We go on two field trips, one to a samurai house and one to Harajuku, (to look at old and new architecture) and to a party.

Today I had my first Japanese class, and there were about twenty people in it, which is surprising, since only 5 people took the test for that level and the one below it. There are about five or six people who were in the first one last semester, but there are as many people who took the intermediate test and apparentally did really badly and got put into 121. I think it will actually be better in the long run to be in a class that starts out a bit below my level than to be in a class that might be starting right at my level.

Also, I went to "Modern Japanese Economy and its world role I" and the teacher was pretty funny and knew english really well. He said that he knew that these classes were just an excuse to be in Japan, and we just have to show up to class and write an essay, no tests or anything.

I think that I will try to write essays for these classes that I can combine to one big paper when I write my ethnographic project for anthro next year.

I bought some halloween pocky, some are pumpkin flavored. and they have halloweeny things on the package, little pumpkins and ghosts.

Scott and I tried to find the secondhand store but we failed in using the map Yohei had drawn. We managed to find the station that was on the map, and what we thought was the correct intersection, but there was no 7-11 there, so we had no idea what to do.

I think it might be cheaper (actually, I know it would be) to have someone mail me a rice cooker from America. The cheapest one I have found is about 80 dollars american... and at target, they cost 10 dollars. There's one more store I want to go to, and Ican certainly survive not eating rice in Japan, though, so maybe I would be better off not bothering with one.

I'm excited to go to Akihabara and get lacrosse stuff on Saturday with Masako, my friend from lacrosse. I need new goggles, but I hope they have different ones here besides the ones we used at Northside, because EVERYONE has the same goggles, just in different colors.

I wish it did not get dark so early here.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what time does it get dark? and when is sunrise? maybe they do not do daylight savings time. if Tokyo is as far north as Atlanta, it should have about the same amount of daylight, a bit more than Chicago, Friday, sunrise 7:01 am, sunset 6:12pm, 11 hr 11 min

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    since you are at the same lkattitude as atlanta, your days will be shorteer than ours in summer and longer in winter.... so right now your day should be slightly longer than ours... by a few minutes ...atlanta sunrise is 7:41 and sunset is 7:06.

    MCD

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where are there Japanese rice cookers at Target? I've only seen them at Mitsua, and they were around 80-100 dollars too. I want one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home