今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

risotto


So today after my history class (which was fairly interesting) I walked back with Scott and Emily and then I went to the grocery store and bought rice. I ended up making a risotto with the other half of the onion I ate with my steak on Sunday and some garlic I also purchased - it was 198 yen (two dollars) for I think 18 cloves of garlic. I'm not sure exactly how many are in the bag(it's one of those stretchy bags that is mesh), but I think I will have to eat an awful lot of garlic (especially for one person) to use it all up. They had about six cloves for a dollar, but I figured buying a pound (maybe more) of garlic was cheaper...

I neglected to photograph my risotto, but since we all know that risotto, as a rule, is not particularly photogenic, you can just imagine a slightly gloppy whiteish blob with some bits of light yellow onion in it. I think I actually like risotto better than rice rice, and since I have plenty of free time, it's not a big deal that you have to stand there stirring it for half an hour. I do have enough left over for tomorrow's lunch and it's kind of something that would be best microwaved, but I am unsure where there is a microwave. I know there are some at school, but they are outside the convienence store and seem to be always in use. Maybe at the end of lunchtime they would be more accessible. Or else I can just reheat it in the frying pan I used to make it.

yeah, I have no idea what I will do with all that garlic. Keep vampires away?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe someone else will buy too much of something, and you could trade some cloves of garlic, or even a head of it, for half a pound of green beans or a half a melon or whatever

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    try to keep the garlic dry, ?maybe hang up the bag? it will keep better. I will look for a garlic recipe

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They have vampires in Japan?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home