今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Asakusa

Today we went to Asakusa and looked at the temples and then walked around Kappabashi, the street with all the kitchenware stores. It was about the same as the last two times I was there, but Aaron seemed to enjoy himself. It was much faster, since we didn't spend anywhere near as much time shopping as I had before. We got okonomiyaki, which has a layer of pancake batter on the bottom, cabbage mixed with some sort of seaweedy stuff topped with noodles, followed by strips of bacon and then the whole thing is flipped ontop of a scrambled egg. Then on the egg side (up) they spread okonomiyaki sauce, which is ketchup and worchestershire sauce and then sprinkle rice puffs, pickled ginger and bonito flakes (which is shaved dry fish flakes). It was yummy. And we had fried chicken - it was so good! I had been wanting fried chicken for quite a while, so it made me happy.

Later we wandered around Saty and got vegetables to slice up and put on pita bread pizzas (Aaron's mom got pita breads as filler to make the cereal boxes not shift around. I used a lot of cheese. But I hadn't had any cheese all day Friday! They were also yummy. And it was nice to eat american-y food.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    is there still a spot in Tokyo known as Nihonbashi? I thought the bridge from the Edo period was supposed to still be there, but instead of being the poor area like it was originally, i had heard that it was now like an artsy district or something. Am I crazy? oh wait, we know the answer to that one, but i mean about this?

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my cat eats dried bonito flakes. they make her crazy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home