今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

It's a good thing we went to Wendy's yesterday

Because it's been raining all day today. I don't think we have rain like this in Chicago very often - it's raining heavily enough that you seriously need an umbrella (I think about a half inch an hour is coming down) and it's been raining for at least 12 hours without even a gap in the onslaught. I mean, I guess sometimes it rains like this at home, but much more likely is intermittent showers/downpours or else a misty fog.

Despite the rain, I did manage to get out for a bit today - I walked to the grocery store and bought a carton of yogurt, and I hit the 99 yen grocery early in the morning and got among other things, some eggs. I made an omlette with cheese and it was really good. I think I just have to make sure to use them quickly. The vast pinkness of my sleeping bag turned comforter was starting to get on my nerves so I got a duvet cover that is coveredwith multi colored squares - two greens, two blues, two pinks, a yellow and an orange, repeated over and over again. It was also less than 5 dollars. I can't decide if my strawberry accesories look more or less out of place now. I need to get another pillow that's softer, the one I have now is memory foam and at first I thought it was too hard and then I got used to it but now I think it's too hard again. All the pillows here are either memory foam, have beans in them (so it would be like a giant beanie baby) or have so much stuffing in them that they are not soft. Every time I see a pillow I squish it hoping to find one I like, and I found a down one that was okay (and I've neverhad a down pillow but from my experiences with down blankets, I would think that after you put your head on it, it would become rather flat. As long as I didn't try to sleep on it it might be okay.) but it was over a hundred dollars. The uncomfortable ones I don't want are around 8 dollars.

I also went to Saty with Silke for crepes... today was the 19th so they were cheaper... I got the "Gelato in Double Mont Blanc". I'm not sure what Mont Blanc is, but the crepe had a scoop of french vanilla gelato and whip cream (they all do), and a piece of a cake with purple frosting and some of this stuff that was the consistency of very smooth bean paste but was brown and may have been hazelnut with some of these fruit-nut things on the top... I have no idea what they were but they had a meaty texture and tasted sort of like the paste. It was really good, though, if a bit odd.

Also, I have eaten all my bagels. I should have taken Scott up on his offer to go to Costco yesterday when we were within a hundred yards of it, but I still had one for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home