今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

too... much... food...


So Scott and Emily and I went to Costco. We had been planning to go by bicycle but it started pouring so we decided to take the train instead, which was a bit of an adventure but we didn't get lost or anything. It took about half an hour (which is how long it is supposed to take by bicycle) but you have to go in the opposite direction first to change to a different train line twice. After we got to the station it was by, Kaihin Makuhari, we had a fairly good idea of where it was and started walking. We did stop and ask a guy who was supposed to be directing traffic if we were going the right way and he told us it was 10 minutes away. Around the train station and along the way to Costco were a whole bunch of convention halls and the Chiba Lotte Marines (the Japanese World Series Champions) baseball stadium.

Costco ended up being on two levels with these odd flat escalators that were like moving ramps(for the carts, I guess. The cart was about three feet wide and four feet long, it was kind of ridiculous). Emily was in awe of the large packages of things and the American food. I ended up getting a dozen cinnamon raisin bagels (impractical amount, I know, but that was the only option) because they were einstein brand. Tomorrow morning we will see if they are the same as einstein bagels at home are... I hope so. I mean, I prefer bagels from Treasure Island, but Einstein's are good. I also got some bananas that are american sized. Japanese bananas are about two-thirds the size of a regular banana. Emily and I split a block of cheese, a package of canned tomatoes(4 cans apiece) and a big bag of dinner rolls. I also got a gigantic chocolate bar and a bag of limey tortilla chips... they willnot be as good as the rick bayless ones, but they are the brand that I first had lime chips in. I'm saving those for the week after next when I have eaten all my bread and bagels. I really wanted to get some meat, but the packages were all so big that I would have to be on the atkins diet to manage to eat that much meat before it would get bad, and even then it would be difficult alone.

We were starving by the time we were done walking around and got a whole pizza. For some reason we thought we were being smart and decided to eat it all rather than have to carry the pizza box with three leftover pieces... but now I feel like I have overeaten pizza... without even the benefit of mindlessly watching football or television. It was raining when we were leaving but there were no tables inside so we took our pizza outside and were standing under umbrellas on the patio eating the pizza. We had also become enamored of these giant apple pies that were very aromatic, so we got one with the intent of eating it when we got back. somehow it ended up standing on end in its' box so it was no longer quite so pretty by the time we got back, but it still tasted really good... too bad I had eaten a third of a pizza that was 45 centimeters (17 and a half inches). Scott and Emily both decided that they did not want the leftover pie so it is all in two tupperwares in my fridge.

So I think with judicious meal planning, I can avoid both having to spend any money on food for the next ten days and not have to eat any rice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home