今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

weather

I keep reading about the awful wintry weather Chicago is having and I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. The weather here is gorgeous, relatively warm and nearly always sunny. The high temperature has yet to be below about 60 degrees. The only bad thing is the humidity. And the fact that it only seems to rain on days when I was either planning a long excursion by bicycle (like yesterday) or when I want to do laundry. My tutor told me it was supposed to get "cold" next week - which apparently means that the low will be in the upper forties. I don't know how much more of this good weather I can stand. I need some damp, blustery, miserable November weather, not perennial late September weather. All this sunshine and warmth is getting on my nerves - I want to be able to wear a sweater and actually need it, not carry it with me on the off chance that it might get cold while I'm in class. Because that's not going to happen.

One thing I forgot to write about going to Costco - there were so many caucasian (and other obviously foreign) people there. It was hard to not stare at them when we first got there, but towards the end we stopped being like, look, a white person. I can only imagine how odd it will be the first day or two in Chicago. We even saw a black guy who was working in the meat department. I ate one of the dinner rolls we got and it was so good. I'm a bit of a bread snob, but it had olive oil brushed on the top and was actually a proper consistency for bread. I had a sample of asiago cheese bread and the crust was really good, but I don't like asiago cheese.

And I'm happy to report that my bagels are standard american bagels... I should get the cream cheese out in a couple hours so that it is soft enough to spread by lunch time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home