今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Friday, December 01, 2006

(curry rice)²

I met my tutor today for lunch and for some reason I thought it was a good idea to get curry rice at the cafeteria - it was really yummy and sweet and I had a breaded pork chop with it. The only problem being I had forgotten that my dinner tonight was to be the leftover curry rice from last night. Luckily they tasted very different so it wasn't *too* repetitive. Emily's tasted much more Indian today than it did yesterday - maybe the flavors needed time to mature.

Sometimes I start talking about the weirdest things with my tutor - today I asked her about the leaves (many of which are still attached to the trees). Some of them are turning colors, but some are still green - apparently not all the trees lose their leaves here. I wanted to ask her about pine trees, but I couldn't remember the word (it's matsu) and there was no way I have ever learned the word 'coniferous' in Japanese. Or 'deciduous'.

Today before law, this girl from Indonesia, Sari, asked me if Scott had a girlfriend. It was a very odd exchange. Especially since Sari is the quietest and most studious of them. I wonder if she was just being curious or if someone asked her to find out. Things could get interesting. Although, this place kind of is socially very much like high school. I enjoyed high school when I was there and I enjoy reminiscing about it, but I don't think I like being in that kind of environment anymore. I guess that's what happens when your social circle is fairly small and everyone knows everyone else's friends.

Scott and I are going to Lalaport (the big mall with the Gap) again tomorrow and to Costco on the way home... I think I am going to start an all-bagel diet. That sounds feasible, doesn't it? I can have cinnamon-raisin for breakfast and plain or onion for lunch/dinner. I'm going to buy a toaster (maybe a toaster oven, it is only $20 and the toaster is $10) because it will greatly enhance my bagel eating and open up a whole new realm of food. I could toast bread with spaghetti sauce and cheese and have pseudo pizza. The possibilities are endless.

I am jealous of the snow!!! I am listening to the radio and Lin Brehmer just said that six inches are expected by the afternoon... I'm sure it's awful to be there and I would be bitching about having to shovel pretty much all day, but as I am quite removed from it, I can bemoan my missing out. And public school is not canceled... even though it is a blizzard and it is just about freezing so I guess it is very slushy and miserable.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually, by about 7am this morning here, almost all the schools were closed, in the suburbs at least (my old school was) and some of the universities closed today. Not our of course. We'd have to be on fire and all dead before they'd close UIC. And thank you for the birthday wishes, it started out good, got tumultuous(i managed to break the swinging metal door thingy off it's hinges at the library today) and looks to be calming down. Or at least I will when I have a few martinis. Mmmm birthday. :) You come home soon! yay!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home