今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

sick :(

So this morning I went running and it was really humid, so I figured that was why I got tired faster (combined with not having eaten breakfast yet). But in Japanese my head started to hurt a little and when I got home I took my temperature and it was about 100. So combined with the sore throat that had sort of gone away after running but was coming back and the fact that I did not feel like eating at all (and usually I run home after class to eat ASAP because I'm starving by 10:45) I decided I had better go to the doctor. I went back to school and went to the doctor's office but apparently there is no doctor on Tuesday, only nurses, and they refused to look at my throat and told me to go to a regular doctor and I could get the money back. They didn't do something so helpful as to, you know, find me a doctor to go to. So I was just going to go home and take some aspirin (which I hadn't because it would have made the fever go away) but I decided to go tell my history teacher that I was feeling kind of sick... By this time I had sort of convinced myself I must have strep because of how much my throat hurt. I found my teacher and told her about the doctor being closed and I was getting really frustrated and my head was really starting to hurt a lot so she found a doctor in Inage (it was about two blocks from here) and one of the other teachers went with me. The doctor's office had a form to fill out what was wrong, and one of the options was "an increased desire for sweet food". I didn't check that box. They gave me a thermometer to take my temperature while doing the form and it was 37.6. I wasn't particularly concerned because it doesn't sound very hot to me, but the teacher looked really surprised at it. I figured out onmy phone afterward that it was 103.4. So I guess there was a reason my head hurt so much. The doctor looked at my throat and took a swab thing to test for strep (which she guessed it was). But it ended up not being strep... so I guess that is good. I got some other antibiotics but I am not sure what sickness I have. But I feel a lot better already, and it's only been 6 hours. I also got some other pills, but I'm not taking the decongestants (as I don't have a runny nose) or some mysterious powder that is supposed to be a fever/pain reducer. I managed to convince the pharmacist that I did not need 3 days worth of ibuprofen, especially since I know for a fact that it has no effect on me. I am taking the fourth thing I got, after I looked up what it does in english (I looked up all of them to see what they really were and they all seemed like legitimate drugs, but a little excessive for a sore throat) - they had said that it was to make my stomach not hurt from the antibiotics, but really it is to replace bacteria in your intestines that might die from the antibiotics. Although it said it was lactic acid so maybe I could just eat some yogurt and have the same effect. I feel a lot better but I think that is from the aspirin I took.

Also, my appetite has recovered, so I must be feeling better. Needless to say, I didn't go to history class and I didn't go to information science either. They didn't tell me not to go to school, so I guess we will see how I feel in the morning (and if I write the paragraph for Japanese class).

2 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my poor baby! I am glad you found some one to go with you - that is quite a high fever. the teacher knows that you are sick, maybe the Japanese go to the doctor quicker than you, so that is why they prescribed so much. Something to replace the good bacteria sounds like a good idea, to help the yogurt.
    Take care of yourself

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had a 103.5 fever once, I had delusional fever dreams where I felt responsible for the assassination of president Lincoln. Brain damage starts at 104, it's good that your temp didn't go higher. The reason for the extraordinary amount of antibiotics is because that fever is your body's physiological reaction to a strong internal infection, and the antibiotics will only help your body to fight them off. You should've asked for what was on the biopsy report and possibly for a copy of your hematocrit and blood work. Make sure you finish all of your medication! Even if you're feeling completely better before you're finished, it's extremely important.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home