今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

field trip!!!

Yesterday my architecture class went on a field trip. Sadly, we did not take a magic school bus, but met at the train station at 10 am and took two trains. We walked from the station up a big hill past many bamboo trees to the samurai houses. There was an old man who gaveus a tour, sort of, but our teacher ahd to keep repeating everything he said in english. We walked around the outside of one and got to go inside of two other ones. They had extremely short ceilings and doorways. I took a lot of pictures, but the internet is being kind of slow right now, so I will post them later.

We also went to a museum - they had a lot of very interesting things ranging from prehistoric Japan to the 1920's, but the Edo period exhibit was being remodeled, so we didn't get to look at that. I took many many many photos there, and hopefully not all of them are goingto be blurry (they didn't allow flash photography, and it was kind of dim, which usually results in half my pictures being blurred). There were many miniature streetscapes of what Japan looked like over the centuries, which were very cute. The museum was interesting, but I think it would have been more interesting if I had actually been able to read any of the writing.

Afterwards, we took a bus back to the train station. I ended up going with some people to Chiba station and we went to Tower Records (because Scott wanted to) and then looking for a yaki niku place (Japanese style Korean barbeque), but we couldn't find one and ended up going back to Inage, where we knew there was one but didn't know how good it would be. It turned out to be really good. We had to sit at two tables because there were six of us and I ended up with Scott and Gene, who was having kind of an attitude about it, saying that he hoped it wouldn't be too bad (since he is Korean, I guess he has higher expectations). The meat came to us raw with this garlicy oniony sauce with sesame seeds on it, and the table had a little grill in the middle. It was really good. I also had a bowl of rice. We went to baskin robbins afterwards and I got this weird flavor of the month called "magical mint night", which was dark chocolate ice cream with a swirl of blue mint flavored ice cream and it had little pieces of pop rocks candy in it... so it tasted good, but I think I will avoid the pop rocks ice cream, I didn't really like the sensation of the fizzing.

I will put up pictures of the field trip later, I am lazy and the internet is slow.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is this a grilling version of fondue??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home