今日は or Magda's Overly Elaborate Cooking

This begins in October 2006 with my trip to Japan but segues into images of things I have cooked.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

I just don't care anymore

So next week is Golden Week, which is the biggest Japanese vacation time of the year - three holidays in five days. There is Japanese class on Tuesday and Wednesday, but no other days, and the English classes have been canceled by the teachers(history and information science). I kind of wish there was school just so I would have something to do. I know, it would be a good time to go somewhere because of the holiday, but unfortunately that's what the Japanese people think too, and it's supposed to be impossible to get reservations during Golden Week. I might try to see if I can get them for going to Amanohashidate, which is the scenic view that is as far west as Kyoto but on the other side of Japan.

Do I look French? In econ today, the teacher's preacher friend (I couldn't resist the rhyme) was in my group and he asked me if my ancestors were from France. He's not the first Japanese person to ask me that, so I can only assume that there must be some French model who I vaguely resemble. I'm used to other white people guessing I am Irish, because of the red hair, but I don't think I have very Gallic features. My face is much rounder than what I think a stereotypical French person's face would be. Also, French people are very skinny. I mean, I guess no one really knows back very far what ethnic group their ancestors were from.

Speaking of my medditerrean genes, I need to start wearing sunblock or my hat. I'm getting too tan on my face, and I've determined that there is no path to school that has shade. I want to be pale. Or at least save my getting dark for the end of summer at North Avenue Beach, where I won't burn no matter how hard I try. I got a little burnt in Kyoto, but since then I've just been getting darker. My hair is getting lighter from the sun, too, and if this keeps up, by the time I come home my skin will be darker than my hair. Seriously. I guess if that happens I will need to move to California, or something.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can you go on day trips? or take the last train from Tokyo and travel at night, so you do not need to get a place to stay the night, and arrive first thing in the morning to do the tourist and sightseeing stuff? is it time to go to Mt Fuji?

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, if you're not french, and you're not irish, what exactly do you think you are? By the way, I'm sorry I didn't leave my email address, my paramedic class has kicking into overdrive and I've been very busy.

    david.paredesflores@gmail.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home